Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The first three days in the new Kindergarten

Just two days after we returned from the UK, Kai began his new kindergarten. He was still having jetleg and didn’t fall asleep untill 2 am the night before his first day. I was worrying if he would fall asleep in the kindergarten.



The kindergarten isn’t very close to our home. It’s about 15 to 20 minutes walking distance. When we arrived there, many children were having breakfast. Some of them were crying, even screaming, and other children, who were not crying, looked very puzzled. Not a very welcoming environment for the first day! I had to leave after Kai went into the classroom., though the overwhelming noise of children still rang in my ears. Many children were probably having separation anxiety from their carers when they started the new life in the kindergarten. I knew Kai didn’t have the problem, but I was anxious about how Kai would react to such an unusual atmosphere – in his old playschool children began every day with playing indoor toys, only very few children would cry for their carers.



My worries eased when I came to pick Kai up. He looked very pleasant, not only because he saw me, but also because he was in very good mood. The teacher told me, he was the first one who finished the lunch before I came. Furthermore, he sang English songs to the teacher and the children there, and they all liked it. So, Kai must have a good time there.



The teacher must have worked a wonder on the children, especially on the screaming ones. How they did it, remained a secret to me.



On the second day, the same crying story went on, and this time, the screaming from other children sounded even more unpleasant to me when I saw tears well up in Kai’s eyes upon my departure. But again, when I came to pick him up, he was more than happy. Really weird. The teacher told me, a child kicked over a chair naughtily, and Kai went to pick up the chair, and was going to throw it onto that child. I was very surprised that Kai had done that.



On the way back he mentioned his old playschool, and he told me he wanted to go back. But when I asked if he liked the new kindergarten, he nodded his head as well, how bizarre.



On the third day, Kai nearly cried again when I left and was cheerful when saw me again. On the way back he was singing some songs learnt from the kindergarten. This time no praise or blame from the teacher.



I look forward to seeing what will happen next week. Probably some of the children will begin to get used to the new kindergarten and cry less?

No comments: